torsdag 12 december 2013

Reflections on theme 5

I liked this week’s theme since I’ve taken some HCI courses and enjoy working with design in different fields I thought the theme was really interesting. Nevertheless the themes of this week’s texts were new to me. I realized that it’s possible to look at programming from a different perspective than I did before. I like to think that programming is something that I could enjoy and think is fun since I know how important it is in order to get technology to work. After this week I’ve opened my mind to the possibility of changing opinion about programming. I think physical programming is a great idea to start with when you learn how to code just to get use to the way of thinking. I would like to read more about it and maybe try it to see how usable it is in my opinion. In the future I will try to look at design in a broader prospective since I have now realized that even programming could be thought of as a design process.


The other text about visualizing a football game with cellphone vibrations wasn’t as interesting as the first text since I’m not a fan of football. But I still think the idea is innovative and interesting. I think it’s difficult to imagine how we are going to consume media in the future but it is a really fascinating topic that I would love to explore more. I wish we got the opportunity to do more prototyping and develop our ideas in our education. I got to try it out a little in the interaction design course but I think it would be relevant to explore the possibility of this in other courses in media technology as well. What I’ll take with me from this week is to remember to think outside the box and try to discover other forms of design than I’m used to.

4 kommentarer:

  1. I think your opinions about physical programming are interesting, and I absolutely agree. Programming is not one of my favorite subjects here at KTH, but if the education had a more physical focus might my interest be different. Do you think physical programming will grow and eventually "take over" as first programming language from python here at KTH in the future?

    SvaraRadera
  2. I don not think physical programming will take over entirely, but I do believe it will expand. I can't imagine that it will over power Python as programming language at KTH. It would be interesting looking at the possibilities of visual programming. To me it seems more logical than for example Python. What is your opinion about visual programming?

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I absolutely agree with you, it would not feel as "academic" if all programming in Python was exchange to some kind of visual programming. I believe that Python is good, since it provides an understanding of how the world of computers is built. If only physical programming would exist on KTH, wouldn't the same amount understanding be provided. But it could be an excellent tool for "programming for dummies" for elementary school pupils.

      Radera
  3. I do believe that visual programming could give you a deeper understanding since it's easier to se how everything is connected than for example in Python. So I don't think Python provides a better picture of how computers are built. I agree with you that physical programming could be used as "programming for dummies" as you call it, but I would consider having a visual programming language in our basic courses. I think it is easier to see the flow and fallow the process in a programming with visual programming than with Python and my opinion is that the most important thing to get on basic level is understanding on how it works.

    SvaraRadera