torsdag 14 november 2013

Post reflection on Theme 1

I feel like the post reflection this first week is a bit difficult to write. It was unfortunate that the first classes were canceled since it now feels like the course haven't started for real. Therefore I feel like haven't learned  as much as I thought I would. I still feel it was interesting reading the literature and writing the last blogpost. I was kind of surprised that the theme "Theory of Science" was so philosophical. Russell's text kind of reminded me of both Platon and Descartes and got me thinking of literature I got in touch with during my high school philosophy lessons. I think philosophy is interesting but the language can be a bit intense, the same applied on the texts we read last week. After reading a bit it got easier to follow. I think it would have been better printing the text instead of reading it on my computer, since it's easier to understand for me if I write comments and make notes while reading.

Even though it's not totally new to me reading literature that abstract as Russell's it still feels strange to me doubting what really exists and the "real form" of objects around us. I like what Russell calls "statements"thing you can back up with evidence. I believe that's why I study a KTH, I like math where you have a right answer and a wrong. It's not in my nature to start doubting my senses and the true value of things. When reading Russell's text it got me thinking of how credulous I am, if I see a table I don't reflect about it's existence, not even a slight thought about it's true color. If I start looking at the bigger picture, should I start to doubt the fact and information I get from a wide range of different sources everyday? I do know what it means to be critical to my sources but if Descartes can start doubting everything around him and his whole world except his existence maybe I should be a bit more critical of what I think is pure or true knowledge. As Russell explains all knowledge doesn't have to be of true value, but to me knowledge has been something that I know to be true. Things that are not true are to me lies or untruths but maybe the world isn't that black and white...
It's so much easier just to accept and trust what I believe to be true and real than start doubting things but maybe it's good to be a bit more critical and thoughtful to the knowledge I believe to be true, after all we once believed the world was flat...

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar